Saturday, August 13, 2016

Homemade Rainbow Playdough




So my homemade playdough started with pumpkin spice for fall but kinda spiraled from there.
So I made rainbow play-doh: -vanilla coconut -pumpkin pie -grape glitter -blue spearmint -green is Christmas cookie -lemon -orange tangerine -black cherry -pink lemonade.

I generally use the same recipe for all the playdough bases and then the add-ins make each batch unique.  Stir together the following dry ingredients in a saucepan then add the wet ingredients and cook on low heat.  

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 cup water
2 Tbsp oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar

Pumpkin Pie = Add 1 Tbsp of pumpkin pie spice & 1/2 tsp of cinnamon & a pinch of clove spice
Vanilla Coconut = I replaced the vegetable oil with coconut oil & added a tsp of vanilla extract
This one is a bit less stable than others - it works great for play but will not keep as long as the others.
Grape Glitter = I added an entire packet of grape Kool-aid, a few drops of food coloring (I already had a purple but you can mix primary colors as well - I love the "Neon" colors pack) and a Tbsp of purple glitter.
Blue Spearmint (my favorite) = I added blue food coloring & a couple drops of Spearmint Essential Oil (another option is peppermint extract if your're not into oils - color it red)
Green Christmas Cookie = I've heard amazing things about Frankincense being used for calming in kids but the smell of a few drops in the playdough was pretty bland so I added some cinnamon and it smelled just like Christmas! Several drops of green food dye created a deep green color.
Lemon = Add yellow food coloring & a few drops of lemon essential oil (or try lemonade drink mix powder if you do not have oils - replacing the water with actual lemon juice will not work as it will change the consistency too much).
Orange Tangerine = Red & Yellow food coloring to create orange & a few drops of Tangerine essential oil.  I have also used orange Kool-aid mix and a citrus-y DoTerra oil called "Cheer."
Black Cherry = the coloring and scent both come from black cherry Kool aid packet 
Pink Lemonade = Country Time pink lemonade drink mix (I used 2 Tbsp) & 2 drops lemon oil

Also, visit this post is a recipe for Gingerbread Playdough & Candy Cane Dough

If stored properly in sealed gallon zipper bags they will last for 6 months.  When the kids play with them I occasionally knead the dough and if at all sticky add a tiny bit of flour while kneading.


1 comment:

  1. You can also enjoy a Christmas event with artificial, classic Christmas trees. For decorating your home.

    ReplyDelete